It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death of Maura O'Donnell-McCarthy. Maura was a very active member in our garden club for many years. After a lengthy illness, which she handled with grace and dignity, she collapsed at a family dinner. An obituary with details will be in the Plain Dealer. Condolences may be sent to her husband Neil and their family at 8155 Center Street, Mentor, OH 44060.
Sincere condolences also to Helen Schreiber, whose husband Hal died on July 2. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be sent to InMotion for Parkinson's Disease. Click here to read his obituary.
An Adventure in Garden Design
Mary Anne Liljedahl and Joan Fountain
A Midwestern Landscape Preservation Symposium July 10 & 11 at the Akron Art Museum. Click here for registration form and information.
Flower Show Winners
Have you seen the photos of the first second, and third place winners at the SLGC Flower Show in May? The winners of Botanical Arts, Photography, and Floral Design are posted and labeled on the website for all the world to see. The winning entries of Horticulture too numerous to identify and label, can be seen, unlabeled, in a gallery on the website. Congratulations to all!
by Betsy Stueber
Click here to go to the Cuyahoga County website for information about correct recycling practices.
- The SLGC is undergoing its annual summer makeover. You can find information about the upcoming year on the members only page: the Board and Committee chairs, bios of the new Provisional Members, a list of board meeting dates and the program schedule for the coming year, and more.
- If you, or someone you know, is not receiving the monthly news blast from Shaker Lakes Garden Club, please contact Dozie Herbruck, AFTER suggesting they check their spam folder, especially just before the first of the month.
- The SLGC Facebook page has been discontinued due to low participation.
- When responding to an invitation on either the website or the newsletter, DO NOT press the 'reply' button, but respond to the link provided in the newsletter. THE NEWSLETTER'S EMAIL IS NOT CHECKED REGULARLY.
- Did you know there are two ways to read the SLGC newsletter? If you want to go directly to the information in the newsletter, go to the Members Only page on the SLGC website and click on Newsletter Posts. After you click 'Read More' at the bottom of the President's Letter, you can go from one post to the next by clicking on the arrow at the bottom of each post.
Kudos from EDWIN'S
The EDWIN'S June newsletter contains a piece about their garden at the Grafton Correctional Institution, which SLGC funded with our Charitable Projects a few years ago. The article includes kudos to our Club with our logo included. Click here to read the article.
Pruning and Training Wisteria and Clematis Vines